30 September 2009

pantone spring 2010 color forecast

This may be a total bore to many of you, but hey...it's my blog so I guess I can do what I want, right? hee! So, I admit, I am a closet color addict. I've always thought that the dream job would be to work for Crayola and name the crayon colors...and sniff that glorious 'box-o-crayon' smell. Ahhh...Anyway, I am fascinated by 'color'...there...it's out now. I love to see how certain colors will emerge and become the 'it' color for a season. Like when fashion magazines say, "Green is the new black".

That always cracks me up.

Anyways, one thing I did not know, until a marketing yahoo enlightened me last year, is that Pantone [known as the color gurus of the universe] actually take their color forecasts from the fashion runways.

I know...

...it was a jaw dropper for me too.

I always thought that Pantone was leading the color charge, but come to find out it's all the artistic crazies at New York Fashion Week who are influencing a mauve comeback. This is serious stuff people. Paint manufacturers, furniture makers, car companies...the whole kit 'n kaboodle look to Pantone in deciding what colors the human race will gravitate toward next season. So it's a little unnerving to think of all that resting in the hands of designers like DSquared2, Alexander McQueen or Betsey Johnson. I mean, I love them for their creative quirkiness, but c'mon...some of this stuff looks like it's been influenced by a continuous drip of Prozak cocktails. Know what I mean, jelly bean?

I digress...
So, this week I've decided to play off the Pantone Spring 2010 color forecast...10 colors in all that Pantone predicts will be trending next spring. 'TURQUOISE' being the first one up.
Kate Spade at ShopStyle

Color me happy, Miss Bea.

No comments: