04 August 2009

Dear Tyne Daly

...oh my...

As my great Aunt Opal used to say, "Black certainly is slimming...but, a ton of black is still a ton of black."

I'm not really sure why the more amply endowed cover their bodies with miles and miles of shapeless fabric. Although I must say that in researching 'plus' size clothing, most of it appears designed by a tent & awning company rather than anyone remotely resembling a fashion designer. I applaud Lane Bryant for their use of largess models and putting some pizzaaz back into plus size women's clothing. But, land sakes they're about the only ones. A few of the more well known labels have plus size lines...Calvin Klein, Liz Claiborne, Michael Kors, Donna Ricco to name a few, but I guess the rest of the fashion world has decided that 5'10", 120lb, 13 year old, flat-chested, emaciated models are the only ones out there buying clothing.

BIG mistake...no pun intended.

But...I digress. I've harangued about this subject ad infinitum, so I thought maybe this time I should approach it from a different angle by playing a round of "This...Not This". Ready? Go.







Yea...so Tyne-honey, the idea here is to at least try and create the illusion of an hourglass shape. This dress might actually have worked...what am I saying??!! This dress had about as much a chance of working as Obama's healthcare plan. My best advice is to either donate the thing to your local catamaran club or recycle it as an outdoor canopy for your next lawn party.

And then just a quick note about accessories.
1)The big, black, droopy, unstructured purse just adds to all of the gobbledigook. And although full-figured gals can get away with larger accessories, for this event, probably a smaller clutch would have done the trick.

2)The espadrilles are cute, but I think the ankle straps make your legs look shorter. I would recommend a peep toe pump or wedge that lengthens the visual line of your very shapely gams. And pick a color...any color...enough with the black already.

3)A pink skinny tie? Really? You know better than that.

So here are my suggestions for a day and an evening look. In my internet moseying, I found Nordstrom to carry the most plus size designer labels...just fyi.


Livin' large, Miss Bea.

No comments: