21 September 2009

menopause at the Emmy's

You'll be excited to know that menopause was alive and well at last night's Primetime Emmy Awards. Yea. I'm sure you're about as excited as I was. Well, before we get into that, let's take a look at my red carpet favorites.


Ahhh. So lovely. So petite. So young. I remember those days when my girls knew the meaning of perky.

sigh...good times.

And then we have the menopause contigency...

Except for Phoebe Price, who looks like she just had a major take down in the bathroom with the toilet paper dispenser prior to stepping onto the red carpet. It's never good to wear a dress that looks like you've been T.P.'d by a gang of high school seniors. That's going to be a mess if it starts to rain.

Anyway, so when I looked at Jessica Lange and Elizabeth Perkins, I thought, "Uh oh. Looks like menopause just pulled them through a knot hole backwards". The thickening waist...the tatas that suddenly have a mind of their own and are making their way south. The upper arms that just yesterday were firm...now today flap in the breeze. I'm with you ladies. I feel your pain. I've been there and have the hot flashes to prove it. So since I am a comrade in the march against time, here are a couple things that have worked for me:

1)Even though it's a formal occasion, think about doing a cocktail dress instead of a gown. Especially if you have a great set of gams. I think the additional fabric in a gown can sometimes make us older gals look more matronly. A little leg and a great high heel can do wonders.


2)If you're concerned about flabby upper arms, wear a sheer wrap or a stole that can drape over that part of your body. In the meantime, get some 2 pound weights and start whippin' those babies into shape.

3)Watch your silhouettes. I think the Badgely/Mischka dress below is a fabulous figure flatterer because the dress actually skims the body, but the chiffon conceals flaws in a translucent-floaty kind of way. You get the best of both worlds.


Estrogen...I miss you, Miss Bea.

No comments: